Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Jumping on the Bandwagon


Okay. I'm officially on the bandwagon now. As much as I hate bangwagons, I must confess:

I loved The Shack.

It's rare thing for me to experience a book, rather than simply read it. But that's what happened for me. Driving 1800 miles down and back on I-20 this Labor Day weekend gave me lots of time to listen to a book on CD. It was a fantastic way to enter into a story, and enter I did.

The struggles and questions of the main character became mine, at least on some level, and the face-to-face fellowship with God became mine in the process. I find myself, after hearing this story, envisioning God in the daily details of my life in a way that I haven't done in a long, long time.

I got to hear the author, Paul Young, speak this weekend at a conference on house church-ing. It turns out that his closest church affiliation falls into that not-so-big category. His perspective on things was refreshing, to say the least. And his talk on the meaning of the story of Eden was second to none. I want a copy of that recording as soon as I can get it.

But most of all, I'm thankful for this book. It has the ability to usher the reader into the presence of God in a way that I've never found in a book before. It may go up there with The Pursuit of God in my list of all-time favorites.

Check it out, if you haven't yet.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jada's Gigi said...

Congrats on a book of your very own!

9:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes.
Looking forward to re-reading it after I finish this great new book that was given to me.

See ya!

11:28 AM  
Blogger Carrie Bevell Partridge said...

I love this book, too! Such vivid imagery. And I found it to be very freeing in the way that I view God, which has been pretty narrow and confining in the past.

4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home