Saturday, August 11, 2007

Following Jesus


Something occurred to me in the shower the other morning. I don't know about you, but I often get my clearest thoughts while showering.

Jesus' earliest followers discovered that following Him involved moving around... alot. The guy hardly ever stayed put. When you think about it, it's not surprising that following someone means actually following Him. For those original men and women, it meant traipsing around Galilee and Judea and getting into all sorts of unexpected situations.

But is it really any different for us? We don't wander Palestine on foot, following an itinerant preacher up and down dusty roads. But as I really try to know the Lord Jesus well, I find that He never stagnates because He never sits still. The way I knew Him in the past remains precious to me, but I know in my heart that there's always more. There are more places He wants to take me. There are more sides to Him that I can know. But I should expect a journey into the unfamiliar.

I know that there's something in human nature that craves the familiar. The controlled. The predictable. I've got that in me, too. But imagine living in a vast and beautiful territory for years without ever leaving a one square mile plot. What a waste that would be. That's what God is like. He means for us to discover those valleys and mountains, rivers, and deserts (ever read Hind's Feet on High Places?).

So that's where I am at present. I think from time to time I am sensing a call to go on a hunt to find where the Lord is going to express Himself today. Maybe it will be in a dangerous place. Maybe a quiet place. Maybe even a place I've been before, but never with Him. I dunno. But I know that nothing else will satisfy my hunger for adventure.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen, brother, Amen.

7:37 PM  
Blogger Alan Knox said...

Thanks for this challenge. I also find that on my own (by my own spirit), I will crave the safe, the stagnant, the controlled. Jesus never seemed to lead his disciples into those types of situations.

-Alan

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home