Thursday, March 15, 2007

Carpe Deus


Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
—Ferris Bueller



Just a little stop-and-smell-the-roses thought for the day:

My wife and I were chatting the other day. She mentioned how easy it has become for us to ignore when good things happen.

It sounds sick and twisted once you say it out loud. But it's true. I find it easy to dwell on bad things happening to me. For some reason I don't like to dwell on things going well.

Maybe I'm worried that it will be gone so fast that it'll hurt too much, so I just won't enjoy it very much to begin with. But that's just crazy if you think about it. More than that, I wonder if it gets in the way of something my Father is trying to do.

Ecclesiastes 7:14 says "When times are good, be happy."

Who'd have thought we would have to be told to be happy when things go right? That verse goes on to say that when times are bad we should consider that God made both kinds of times. Both circumstances work to accomplish what He is doing in my life.

I've spent years getting used to the idea that suffering is from God. I've been drinking as deeply as I can from the well of God's sovereignty. I find it to be a comfort in times of trial and pain. When life sucks it helps to know that God is in it, and that He's up to something ultimately good.

I've gotten so accustomed to reminding myself of this when tough times come. I've forgotten that the same thing is true of good times.

You come across a windfall ($). Or you get that job you wanted. Or you get a positive job review just when you thought you were probably the world's worst employee. Or your whole family is healthy and happy. Or... whatever. How often do you stop and ENJOY the good things God has sent your way?

If you don't, maybe they're wasted moments. Maybe something of God's beauty and care get missed by us when we don't savor the times He comes to us as pleasure, or joy, or excitement, or success. Aren't these moments instances of our Father in heaven caring for our needs? Must we ignore them simply because we are afraid to enjoy them too much? The more I think about it, the more I realize that this would be a waste.

How would you like it if you did something for someone--something that would make their life a little better or a little easier--only to have them ignore it because they were too concerned with whatever the next challenge ahead of them will be? Wouldn't that be rude?

I like the idea that I have a responsibility to enjoy the good things that God sends my way. I will decide to celebrate the successes He brings me, because I think this brings joy to Him.

By the way, I'm having a pretty good day.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for reminding us to savor the good things and to see Christ in that too. He comes to us in so many ways. An old Hymn from eighth century Ireland "Be Thou my vision" has become my prayer. To see Him as All in All.
Jerry

4:00 PM  
Blogger Jerry said...

To drink deeply from the well of His Sovereignty, I like that. Everything that comes to us good or bad is working together for our good and to have a heart that receives every moment and every circumstance as from the loving hand of God.... That is a gift in itself.

4:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm reminded of the fact that the earliest paintings of Jesus have Him smiling...and feasting with His peeps.

Not too long ago, during a phone conversation with my dad, he said," Are you happy, son?"

To which, at the time I responded, "Well..., yeah", in an almost uncertain tone.

A moment passed and he replied,"Don't go looking for sorrow...that's something your going to get plenty of anyway.
Enjoy your life...that's what matters".

Ya know, I can hear all of the psuedo spiritual arguments to this in my head....but I know exactly what he meant.

I'm going to honor my father on this one.

5:23 PM  
Blogger Jasmin said...

I'm sorry, I was kind of skimming over your blog, and my mind saw this:

"I've spent years suffering...I've been drinking..."

Neil!!! What's going on?!

No, I'm just kidding. Yay for happiness! I think I've been experiencing the same thing lately--finally letting myself enjoy what the Lord has brought my way, because he's definitely brought good things!

How could I not be happy about a baby named Jubilee? Sometimes I can't believe He's blessing me with her...

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thought you'd get a kick out of this article:
http://www.larknews.com/march_2007/secondary.php?page=4

7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home