Sunday, July 08, 2007

Father Abraham... had many sons...

It's amazing to me that more film makers haven't picked up the story of Abraham. He is the founding father of the three largest world religions, yet I couldn't find a single movie about him anywhere last week. I had been asked to share about his story for last night's meeting, but I couldn't scrape together anything visual. So I did what you would have done. I went out and got an Abraham costume.



I discovered three things during this process.

1. My Arabic accent really sounds more Russian than anything else. Like a Russian who clears his throat alot when pronouncing his H's.

2. Abraham knew God apart from the Law, since the Law didn't come until hundreds of years later. And...

3. He misinterpreted God's plans as often and as badly as I do.

I always feel better when I read Abraham's story, or any of his kids for that matter. They were so screwed up. But God blessed them anyway. He showed so much patience. Despite their doubt. Despite their conniving. Despite their attempting to wiggle their way out of hard stuff. He kept them to His own plans and Life resulted.

I need that kind of grace.

Oh yeah, I also learned that spirit gum is not something you buy at a National Booksellers Convention. It's the sticky gooey stuff you paste to your face to hold on your beard.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Neal, Jeff here. I came across your site and wanted to say hi! send me your email sometime so that I can write to you. thanks.

jwhite1319@truevine.net.

12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor Hagar and Ishy...

Where are they going to live now...?

11:52 PM  
Blogger Jerry said...

I love the Abraham outfit idea, and I love the variety you have in your meetings.
Being supplied with that river of water of Life that flows from His throne. That Life is not a stagnant thing but an inexhaustible supply, moving and flowing, sometimes in ways we would never expect.

2:19 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Really nice. I wish I had been there to see and hear first hand.

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home