Monday, January 26, 2009

Emotionally Healthy Spirituality


I'll be writing a bit on a couple of books in the coming weeks (I think). Sometimes putting your own thoughts into writing doesn't work, at least not for mass consumption on this boundary-less blogosphere. So I'm going to comment some on stuff I've been reading. It's been a while since I've come across any books that struck a chord inside of me. Thankfully, I've come across a couple in the last few weeks, and I intend to write about them.

The first one is entitled Emotionally Healthy Spirituality, and it's written by Pete Scazzero. I like this book because its basic premise encircles some issues I'm dealing with in my life right now. He states the premise one the front cover: "It is impossible to be spiritually mature while remaining emotionally immature." That kind of blanket statement almost forces you to disprove it as quickly as possible. But while I would have taken issue with it years ago, I'm coming around to accepting its basic point.

More on that soon.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bill Heroman said...

Maturity is relative, most disciplines are particular, and emotions reveal what is already inside us. So nanny-nanny boo-boo.

But if he's saying that Emotional Maturity requires reigning it in, and that the spirit is the proper way to do that... then yeah. Duh.

Thbbpppt! :p

6:04 PM  
Blogger Mike Morrell said...

I look forward to your thoughts on this, and whatever Other Book might lie next. How (Not) to Speak of God by Pete, by any chance? :)

5:59 PM  
Blogger Bill Heroman said...

Clearly, Mike is sooooo much more mature than me. But, um - yeah, me too. :)

10:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home