Saturday, March 14, 2009

Freudian Slippers


Now that's just hilarious. When you wiggle your toes, it looks like he's sticking his tongue out. I just may have to get me a pair of these someday.

Speaking of Freudian things...I finished reading The Watchmen this week, so now I can be an educated viewer when I go see the movie. I've never seen so much Freudian thought integrated into a plot! And since I didn't come across this series when I was younger, I don't expect to be indignant about changes like some folks seem to be. For example, I won't be sorry to see the giant squid thing disappear from the storyline. That was just over the top. Alan Moore has some serious issues (no pun intended).

I also realized after reading Watchmen just how much the creators of The Incredibles must have been influenced by this story. Whole lotta striking similarities, but without the nihilistic darkness and gore. I'll stick with The Incredibles, thank you.

5 Comments:

Blogger Carrie Bevell Partridge said...

Those slippers are AWESOME.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Bill Heroman said...

Freud had five tongues?

6:25 PM  
Blogger Bill Heroman said...

Okay, now I can ask. Which parts were similar to the Incredibles? The idea of retired heroes? Or did you see similar 'big ideas'?

As a movie, it was too much of a miniseries. Watchmen finally convinced this fanboy why comic book scripts need adaptation.

7:39 AM  
Blogger Neil said...

You have to read the original stories to get all the parallels:
A group of superheroes are forced into retirement. Society pokes fun at them (silly costumes, with capes that often got them killed) while they are left with nothing but their memories of the good ole days. Years later we discover a couple of the heroes still like to dress up and do daring deeds (like rescue people from a burning building). Then some of the heroes start dying off. Turns out a hero (or a hero wanna-be) is killing them off, and plotting a massive hoax involving a strange squid-looking thing, from which the masses will need his expert help.

9:02 AM  
Blogger Bill Heroman said...

Okay. Dang-wow. You got me.

So did you see anything Ayn Rand-ian at all?

9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home